a boy's own search for meaning in life, love, and birthday cake.


Thursday, December 17, 2009

VII – The Chariot

"This key signifies victory for the triumphant king who has conquered on all planes, particularly those of the mind, science, and growth. The chariot stands for the human personality, which can be a vehicle for the expression of the Self.

If his powers of observation are faulty, superficial, or fearful, the resulting sequence of subconscious reactions is bound to be destructive.

Key 7 means rest and victory, self-discipline and stability. The conqueror may not yet have conquered himself. Here we find both will and knowledge, but there is more desire to attain than proven power for real attainment.

Some occultists divide the Tarot Keys into three groups of seven cards each. In this case the number 7  indicates the Fool has reached an outer triumph and is ready to learn further lessons in the next seven cards.

Divinatory Meaning: Triumph, success, control over the forces of nature–thus triumph over ill health as well as money difficulties or enemies of any sort, including one's own lower animal passions. This is a card of those who achieve greatness. It may also indicate travel in comfort. Mental and physical powers should lead to fulfillment.

Reversed: Decadent desires, possibility of ill health, restlessness and desire for change, an unethical victory."
*

 

After a long period of spiritual distance and neglect, I decided to break out the Tarot cards once again to help me figure out where I'm going to go with my life now, what's next in my journey after finally putting an end to the latest chapter of my book.

I managed to pick up the entirety of the deck of cards from the black box that my (late) Chanel sunglasses came in, save one.

After setting down the cards I had grabbed, I picked up the remaining card left behind in the box.

When I turned it over, I involuntarily gasped—it was like being shocked by electricity.

Shocked by the hand of Fate.

- - -

I'm scared.

Now that it's over and done with, what now?

What's next?

I thought I knew what I was doing. I thought I had a plan.

I thought I had something for sure, something so solid in its certainty that nothing could have shaken me out of my resolute determination.

Call it cold feet, but now it feels as if the cracks I've managed to overlook thus far in the foundations of my strategies have gradually spiderwebbed to a point too far past the limits of denial.

What the hell do I do now?



* Gray, Eden. A Complete Guide to the Tarot. New York: Bantam, 1972. Print.