a boy's own search for meaning in life, love, and birthday cake.


Sunday, November 15, 2009

THE HILLS: Can You Meet Me Halfway?

BLACK TITLE CARD: "THE HILLS"


LEO (V.O.)
Previously on "The Hills..."


CUT TO:

INT. THE X – MORNING

LEO and the rest of the VISUAL TEAM are hard at work executing a large floorset throughout the store. It's all about BLACK, WHITE, AND RED, and VERY PROPS-HEAVY -- it screams HOLIDAY.


LEO (V.O.)
I was hard at work with the new
holiday floorset, meaning more
hours, and more money.
(beat)
Unfortunately, more hours for
my bank account meant less hours
for my social account, which,
like my bank account, was already
nearing bankruptcy.


CUT TO:


EXT. THE X – DAY (LATER)

Leo exits the store after a long day. He's texting.

C.U. – LEO'S PHONE

TO: CHRISTIAN
Sorry I'm late. Just left work. You still free to hang?

He presses SEND.

CUT TO:

INT. TROLLEY – LATER

The sun is already setting. Leo looks at his phone.

C.U. – LEO'S PHONE
The screen reads 1 NEW MESSAGE. He opens it.


FROM: CHRISTIAN
Busy running errands. Sorry. :(


Leo SIGHS and shuts his phone. He shifts his gaze out the window, annoyed.

CUT TO:


INT. BAR – NIGHT (LATER)

Leo sits alone at the bar. The BARTENDER hands him a double-vodka tonic.

Leo toasts the empty stool beside him somberly before taking a long swig.


CUT TO:

EXT. THE X – DAY

Leo is on break, smoking. He's joined by CAMERON, eating a small take-out bowl of pasta.


LEO (V.O.)
Thankfully, unlike my bank account,
I still had some social currency
saved away for rainy days, like
a friend like Cameron to help me
cash in a big reality check.

CAMERON
You know what your problem is, Leo?


Leo turns his head languidly to face Cameron.


LEO
(feigned interest)
Oh, do tell, dear friend.

CAMERON
You expect too much from people.


Leo SNORTS and takes another drag off his cigarette.


CAMERON (CONT'D)
(re: Leo's response)
What? Am I wrong?

LEO
No, dear friend. You're not. In
fact, you're actually right on
the money. However, I don't feel
as if these expectations aren't
justified. After all, it's not
like the expectations I put on
other people aren't as high as
the ones I put on myself.


Cameron takes this in as he works through a few bites of pasta. Finally, he comes up with something.


CAMERON
Okay, two things –- One: are the
people you're putting these
expectations on capable of even
meeting them?


Leo thinks about this.


CAMERON (CONT'D)
(patronizingly)
Yes, we all know you're great. Yes,
we all know you have the capacity
to go above and beyond what's
expected of you. We all know that
about you, but do you know that
about them? Can you say the same
things you can do, they can do
just as well?


A small frown forms on Leo's face –- the answer is no.

CAMERON (CONT'D)
And two: do they even know what
the expectations are that you're
hanging around their necks?


This catches Leo off guard. From the look on his face, the answer is an even bigger NO.

Cameron smirks, satisfied.


CAMERON (CONT'D)
Didn't think so.
 
LEO
So, what? To be happy and have
my expectations met, I need to
draft a policy with everyone I
know to let them know what I want
from them and have them sign and
date it, promising to uphold the
aforementioned expectations?

Now it's Cameron's turn to SNORT.

CAMERON
You're nothing short of extreme,
you know that?
(beat)
No, what I'm saying is you can't
walk into a friendship expecting
one thing and not even telling
the second party of the friendship
your expectations. Other people
have different thoughts of what
being friends means, and unless
you're clear about what you want
from them, they're never going
to give you what they want.


Leo takes this in and nods in understanding.

CAMERON (CONT'D)
And second of all, stop putting
yourself first. It's not always
about what YOU want in a friendship.
Maybe people don't want to hang
out with you as much as they do
with their other friends because
you don't put any thought into
what THEY want. Have you ever
thought about that?


Leo cocks an eyebrow at him -- a challenging no.

Cameron SIGHS, exasperated.


CAMERON (CONT'D)
Oh, Leo. I don't even know where
to begin with you. Friendship is
not just about having one person's
needs met, aka yours. Both parties
need to get something out of it.
You need to meet each other halfway.

Leo struggles to take this in, a new concept he's trying to wrap his head around.

LEO
You think that's why all my other
relationships failed miserably?
Because I don't know how to compromise?


CAMERON
(deadpan)
No, I think it's because you're
a lousy lay.


Leo looks at him, mock-insulted.

LEO
I'll have you know I'm great in
bed, thank you.

CAMERON
Sure, let me just ask all those
one-night tricks of yours that
turned out to be nothing more.

LEO
Ouch. Fuck you.


CAMERON
No, thanks. You're probably not
going to even try to meet my
needs, so why bother?


Leo mock-glares at him. Cameron smiles sweetly back in return.

CAMERON (CONT'D)
Love ya.


Leo blows smoke in his face. Cameron SCREAMS, COUGHS.

CAMERON (CONT'D)
Eww, you bitch!


Leo smiles back at him.

LEO
(a la Cameron)
Love ya.


END ACT ONE.


Too lazy to finish the rest. Maybe later. :)